Company History

We were founded in 1954 as John H. Nielsen & Associates. In 1969 a partnership was formed to continue the practice under Nielsen – Madsen Consulting. In 1980 successor engineers formed the current partnership of Nielsen Madsen & Barber.

In the early years, the primary activity was providing engineering subcontract work to other consulting offices and area contractors.  Beginning in 1958, the services were broadened to include highway design, municipal engineering and storm water management.

Today, Nielsen Madsen + Barber is a full-service consulting civil engineering and land surveying firm providing expertise and guidance to a wide array of municipal and private clients. Nielsen Madsen + Barber continues to grow along with the southeast Wisconsin northeast Illinois areas, providing expertise and responsive service for 60 years.